When Grafton Township was founded in 1850, the area population was recorded at 440. By 1870, the township population had grown to 1,359. Thomas Stillwell Huntley (1807-1894) was the first elected Supervisor of Grafton Township; that is the only elected office he ever held. He was much loved and respected by the area residents; that his obituary stated that “his kindness and generosity will always be remembered so long as the history of the town remains”. The area was first settled as a farm community. Good land and hard work made for a surplus of farm products and local farmers were able to produce enough milk to supply local creameries and to send milk to other milk plants in Chicago. Grafton contains a large proportion of low, wet land about the central parts, hence is better adapted to stock than grain, and like the neighboring townships of Coral and Algonquin, the leading industry among the farmers is the dairy business. This township is one of the southern tier, being joined on the south by Kane County, on the east by Algonquin, on north by Dorr, and the west by Coral. It is township 43, range 7.
Map and Directions
Note: Some map locations are approximate. Please call the venue at (847) 669-3383 for exact directions.Get directions from: